Wednesday, December 30, 2009

9:10 am, Santa Fe

In order to remain diligent with this blog and not lose my mind waiting for word from Placement, I'm going to try and post once a week until I hear from them.

I just got back from a lovely trip to Chicago to see friends and family and now I'm back to work in Santa Fe. This morning I've been reading other applicant's blogs on peacecorpsjournals.com, searching for some sort of clue as to when I might hear from placement. It's bizarre that I don't seem to remember anything about this process from the last time I applied. This time I'm keeping a good record so I can share it with other potential applicants to help ease the tension of waiting. It would seem, from my previous application and from these blogs, that typically you do not received your invitation packet until two months before your departure date. In the case of my invite to Cambodia I didn't hear until a June 1 and I left for Cambodia July 20. So I'm not quite sure what to think. I was nominated for fall of 2010 so, doing some quick math, I would hear in June at the earliest....yikes. So I'm crossing my fingers that I hear back A LOT sooner than that. I am applying to graduate school as a backup, but I would love to hear yes or no from Peace Corps before I go spending hundreds of dollars on applications!

In other news, I'm moving out of my current house into a much nicer, cheaper house a few blocks away tonight. Maybe there will be a invitation packet waiting for me when i get there.

4 comments:

songs_for_jane said...

The South Pacific, Micronesia, is THE most difficult assignment in Peace Corps. We imagine idyllic islands only to find ourselves stuck in a very lonely place with our weaknesses and the weakness of those we serve floating on tides that engulf it.

I served in the Marshall Islands. Peace Corps no longer places volunteers in the Marshalls. Prepare yourself well. Ask questions. Stay healthy. Get help when you need it, and drink plenty of potable water, and you'll be fine. Don't expect paradise.

J.

Katherine said...

Just wanted to say that I was extremely fortunate to come upon your blog, as it shows a different sort of application process and knowledge of the Peace Corps than many others do, considering you've dealt with them twice. Good luck with everything, I'm definitely excited to continue the application process, but know now that I should give great thought to this opportunity. Thank you.

CLR Portraits - Indianapolis Newborn Photographer said...

As a first time applicant, I'm very happy I found your blog. Do you have the same nomination the second time around, I wonder? Or did your nomination change?

CLR Portraits - Indianapolis Newborn Photographer said...

andddd nevermind I just read your most recent entry!